Boor & Wainwright Shield
1. The competition is obligatory and shall be known as the “Boor & Wainwright Shield”. It shall be competed for annually between all the teams registered with The Stamford & District Bowls league.
2. A competing team shall comprise 9 players selected from team lists registered with the League Administrator. Players registered for another team within the club are not eligible. Unregistered players are not eligible.
3. Having once played in any round of the competition a player is then “cup tied” to any other team.
4. All matches to be played to 21 ends on three rinks, each rink playing 2-wood triples to EBF rules and (in all other respects) to the procedures required by the Stamford & District Bowls League.
5a. Round Robin matches to be played with 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw. The 8 teams progressing to the Quarter Finals will be selected as follows:
(i) If there are 4 groups, the top two teams in each group will go forward.
(ii) If there are 5, 6 or 7 groups, the top team from each group will go forward, together with the best-performing second-placed teams, ie: the teams with the best points-per-game ratio. In the event of teams having the same poits-per-game ration, then the teams with the best shot difference will take precedence.
(iii) If there are 8 groups, the top team from each group will go forward.
5b. Quarter Final matches onward to be played on a knockout basis. Should the total number of winning shots be equal at the end of 21 ends (or 12 ends under rule 6) then the game will continue on all rinks until one team has attained a final winning aggregate.
6. In the event of a match not being completed due to bad light or inclement weather and 12 ends (or more) having been completed on each of the three rinks then the results as at the time of abandonment shall stand.
7. The competition shall be under the direct control of the Competitions Secretary. The match result should be entered directly into the results website, under 2023 Competition Results, AND match result cards should be scanned and emailed to Peter Linnell ([email protected]) or posted the next day.
8. All matches will be played on the greens of the home-drawn teams unless otherwise mutually agreed. Opponents are to be offered three suitable dates for the quarter finals and semi-final matches.
9. The final shall be played on a green and on a date stipulated at each succeeding Annual General Meeting. Teams failing to meet play-off dates without the approval of the Competitions Secretary shall forfeit their continuance in the competition.
10. In the event of a dispute or a situation not specifically covered in the above rules then the decision of the Executive Committee shall be absolute and in precedent.
11. Handicap Allowance. The final team score will be adjusted as follows: -
Div 1 Top 1/2 - 0 shots Bottom 1/2 - 6 shots
Div 2 Top 1/2 - 12 shots Bottom 1/2 -18 shots
Div 3 Top 1/2 - 24 shots Bottom 1/2 - 30 shots
These will be shown (in brackets) against each team in the initial draw.
Any handicap will be “Pro-rata” for any foreshortened game (see Rule 6).
Any new team (no known history) will receive half the points.