1. Dress correctly for all games.
2. Greet your own team members and opponents at the start of the game and congratulate and compliment them at the end of play.
3. Compliment your opponent on a good shot.
4. Admit to a fluke with good grace.
5. Stand still when a player is on the mat.
6. Do not walk or make a noise behind the mat when a player is about to deliver a bowl.
7. Remain behind the mat or behind the head when it is not your turn to play. As soon as your bowl has come to rest, possession of the rink passes to your opponent.
8. Keep to your own rink. Do not become a wanderer and distract other bowlers. Walk down the centre of your rink when you are changing ends.
9. On a sunny day, be aware of your shadow. Do not let it mask the jack or permit it to fall in front of the mat when a player is about to bowl.
10. Try to avoid obscuring boundary pegs, rink plates or rink markers.
11. Never criticise your opponent, the Green, or your own team members. If you cannot say something positive – say nothing at all.
12. Pay attention, concentrate on the game. It is frustrating to your team mates if you are not giving full attention and best effort. Socialise after the game.
13. Always appear to be enjoying the game.
14. Stand well back from the head when drive shots are being played and warn others.
15. Learn the laws of the sport and abide by them.
16. Be a gracious winner and a good loser.
Guidance from Bowls Leicestershire.
A booklet entitled GUIDANCE FOR NEW BOWLERS is available from Bowls England.