Market Deeping Bowls Club
Douglas Road, Market Deeping, PE6 8PA
The earliest recorded meeting of Market Deeping Bowls Club took place in the Three Tuns Public House on the 10th March 1954 and there were 15 members present. At this time they were only playing friendly matches against Peakirk, Asycoughfee, Crowland and Littleworth amongst others. Interesting point from the meeting was that they had £2.4.9d in the bank and assets of £20 - this included the hut, mower, roller and markers.
Like a lot of clubs around at this time money was an issue and several times during the next few years the club came close to folding and were only saved by fund raising events such as Whist Drives, and in 1957 a raffle for a packet of 20 cigarettes was held during each home match.
During the years the Minutes of the Club refer to such things as “damage to the fencing caused by falling trees” or as in 1964 it was reported that “a beast caused damage to the green” - £1 compensation was received for this and again further damage caused by cattle in 1966.
In 1983 the Club finally purchased the land that the green was on for the sum of £1500. Over the next few years additional parcels of land purchased to give the area that the Club has today.
Four years ago a plan was put into place to improve not only the green but also the clubhouse. A group of members under the expert eye of Mick Biggin set about extending the building and creating more room inside. At the same time with the help of Mark Hammond we set out to improve the actual bowling green, and during this winter 2021/2022 we have been assisted by Tony from Clearcut in making further improvements.
1956: Joined the Peterborough League
1988: Joined the Stamford League
New members are welcome to join our Club. Phone 01733 252395
Updated: November 2022. Checked by SF March 2023